Tuesday 9 August 2011

Melbourne to Perpignan !

Sorry I haven't blogged for a while. Laurent and I had a couple of days in Melbourne and were lucky enough to stay at the Crown Towers. I think the highlight of our trip was a nice evening spent drinking some fantastic wine followed by a few Mojito chasers at The Waiting Room

This is the waiting room...


and we were sitting right here


We also had a fantastic lunch in this little alley near Flinders St. So much so we went back the next day for breakfast! The atmosphere reminded Laurent alot of Toulouse. It definitely had a European vibe and reminded us of how much we miss that French feel you only get by living there...

My husband has lived in Toulouse but he's from Perpignan (the Catalan region - the Catalans are a stubborn special bunch!)



La Basse (it's in the city centre)






Le Castillet, which is also part of the town centre and is now the emblem of Perpignan. Laurent explained that once upon a time, Perpignan was surrounded by a big wall and le castillet was the gate/entrance into the town. So I asked "where's the wall now?"
Laurent says "they destroyed it!"
and I said "who's they?"
At this point he looks at me a little puzzled (but he keeps saying "they" and I don't know who "they" are)!
So I ask again, "who's they?"
And Loz in all his French infused wisdom (coupled with that puzzled look he was sporting before) says, "the French people"!
aarrrrhhhhhh et voila! Wow I feel so confused enlightened!



This is Collioure! It's about a 30 minute drive from perpignan... I spent a few days lazing on the pebbly beach surrounded by hoards of English tourists! That's the thing about Europe in general, the more beautiful the place the more tourists it attracts... which I always feel somehow subtracts a little from its appeal (even though I was one myself... more-or-less).

Interesting fact about Collioure 
Apparently every 15th of August, there is have a massive festival (La Feria) where they have bull fighting (which I hate), fireworks worth millions of dollars and LOTS of alcohol! They close off the whole town and the only way to enter is by walking or train. (Laurent then mumbles under his breath "putain I was pissed at this festival")...

One of my favourite places in France was Villefranche de Conflent. It's also about 30 min from Perpignan and is positioned up in the Pyrenees Orientales. This town's beauty is undeniably breathtaking. Laurent's best friend, Nicolas owns a restaurant in the old castle (which is the town... apparently they built the towns like this to protect the people)

Nicolas is an AMAZING chef and I ate some of the best food of my life in his restaurant (le Grill la Senyera).
If you're ever over his side of town definitely go check it out and whatever you do, order the duck!





Ok I shall sign off now and besides, Jack is crawling all over me and typing is becoming increasingly difficult as the minutes pass...

Erin x


1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous place! The view is just amazing! Have a delightful day, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete